Guggenheim’s pioneering effort in the Arctic to advance sustainable and responsible business practices resulted in the creation of the Arctic Investment Protocol in 2016, which World Economic Forum transferred in 2017 to the Arctic Economic Council (AEC), the business forum that is dedicated to responsible economic development in the Arctic. Guggenheim formally joined the AEC on Sept. 9, 2019.
The Arctic Investment Protocol’s six foundational and formative principles for responsible investment in the Arctic.
These principles—more defined and rigorous than any now in place—will guide investment in the region by establishing a set of clear standards for sustainable and responsible business practices, governance, and environmental stewardship:
- Build resilient societies through economic development
- Respect and include local communities and indigenous peoples
- Pursue measures to protect the environment of the Arctic
- Practice responsible and transparent business methods
- Consult and integrate science and traditional ecological knowledge
- Strengthen pan-Arctic collaboration and sharing of best practices
The Arctic Investment Protocol is an important step forward and a solid foundation to build upon for the future. It sets a higher standard and allows further advancement of sound practices for sustainable development.
Guggenheim Investments. All rights reserved.
Guggenheim Investments represents the following affiliated investment management businesses of Guggenheim Partners, LLC: Guggenheim Partners Investment Management, LLC, Security Investors, LLC, Guggenheim Funds Investment Advisors, LLC, Guggenheim Funds Distributors, LLC, GS GAMMA Advisors, LLC, Guggenheim Partners Europe Limited and Guggenheim Partners India Management.